Friday, November 03, 2006

What a day again!

Ok, this is going to be one long entry, definitely… Cos the day seems to be pretty long for me.

Today is a lousy day definitely. PMS day?! Perhaps? Hahaha..

Firstly, I am still taking my medicine. My gastritis is still acting up every now and then. That is getting me super irritated because it doesn't seem to go away. The feelings of bloated stomach, pain and nausea suck big time, to be very truthful. On top of that, I took my cough syrup this morning as I started coughing, thus got me to feel very drowsy. During lunch, I was almost like Alice in Wonderland, high without any alcohol. In the end, I ended up resting in the toilet, trying to take forty winks after my lunch... That was how desperate I am.

Secondly, I just had a fight with my boss over my last day in this company. She called me at 2+pm and her voice was raised the moment I picked up the call, as if she was interrogating some criminals. This is the gist of the conversation that we had:

Her: I thought you are extending till 17 Nov.
Me: No. I have checked with HR. They said she (my replacement) could only come in on 16 Nov. Then there is no point for me to stay till 17 Nov. Only 2 days with her.
Her: No, she is coming in on the 13 Nov.
Me: No, I just checked with HR 2 days ago.
Her: By right, you cannot take leave when you are serving notice. This is a company policy. But I allowed you to take on the understanding that you will extend.
Me: I do not think that policy was stated in my letter of appointment.
Her: If you leave on 14, then I am going to die! There is no one to hand things over to her, or teach her things!
Me: (Darn pissed off tone already) But that is very unfair to me, right? I am already serving my 3 months here leh.
Her: (still insistent) She is coming on the 13. Then you can have a whole week with her. HR got it wrong. I am going to call them and check.
Me: They told me it is 16 Nov.
Her: No, it is not. I am going to scold them. I check and let you know.

Well, I never promised her that I would stay till 17 Nov. I only told her that I got to check on my schedule. Oh, did I say that her attitude was so bad? I was darn pissed with that. It is her privilege if I stayed a day longer, not my obligation. I am serving my THREE months here, not any shorter! I got no more obligations to ensure that my duties are properly handed over by then. Not to mention that she attempted to threaten me with company policy. That is the last straw for me! I am not new here - I know how it works. I am not dumb either - I could jolly well leave at this very instance and pay back the remaining days that I am supposed to be in this company. There is no loss for me. And I am the only one who knows what to do in my role. No one else does. I am the one with the bargaining power, not her.

Subsequently, she came over to my desk and talked about it pretty loudly in the open. I only gave her a " so-what" and " I-do-not-care-more" attitude. Think she saw my face and attitude to realise that I am darn pissed, and that I would not give in to her threats. As such, she changed to a nicer tone, and tried talking to me in a more reasonable tone. In the end, I am only extending one more day to 15 Nov. Bottom line, any attempt to threaten me and you will get it from me. If you need a favour, ask, not demand. Respect is meant to be earned, not given.

With all these, I also got a feedback with regards to my impatience. Said that it deterred him from asking and telling me things. What am I supposed to say to that? Upon reflection, when things are going the other way for me, I know I get more impatient and short tempered than I usually am. That I am in the wrong. Perhaps I am letting that getting out of hand recently. Perhaps there are too many things on my mind. Yet, there is no excuse for my temper and impatience. I am not the only one who may be having a bad day. As such, I gotta to be sensitive enough to other people too. I wun like it too if I know the other party is impatient with me...

Yet, when the other person is pointing fingers at me, is that fair? I do not know and do not wish to think about it. Giving it a careful thought now, I realise that communication breakdown is one thing that I am fearful of. Communication breakdown has been the main contributing factor to my breaks in relationships with people. Once that goes wrong, everything else will go wrong...

Anyway, let me sit on it and give it a further thought...

No comments: