Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Earrings

I have been wanting to blog after this for days… But ha, some things just took over in priority ranking.

Yes, my dad bought me a pair of gold earrings as a gift for me on my day. When I first know about it over the phone, I was close to tears. I did not know why, but I was just overwhelmed by feelings.

Reflecting, I know it’s because I felt loved. For the longest time, I never remember receiving a gift from my dad (of course, minus those toys that I got when I was a kid :P). And yes, the pair of earrings that he got me was less than $100. Perhaps many people will not even take a look at them. But to me, they are precious. To my 70 years old dad, that $100 is a lot of money… We were never rich… and he never has savings too… thus I have never expected anything from him all these years… As such, his act has really surprised and touched me deeply. I mean, the thought of buying something for me is already more than enough for me…

Many things to me, is not about $ though I personally believe in savings for raining days. I am not exactly bothered if you do have $ or not, or if you have been buying me expensive gifts recently or not. Of course, I love gifts - they make me happy, especially when you have gone out of the way to get something that I have been eyeing or need. Thus, I appreciate gifts regardless of their value. Yet, there are other things that I look out for too, perhaps in more subtle ways. Acts and thoughts of love, expressed in all little ways, far superseded what just money can buy... irreplaceable and non-tradable.

No comments: