Monday, December 03, 2007

Standard Chartered Half Marathon 2007

Did the Standard Chartered half marathon yesterday. Woke up at 4.30am after a less than 5h sleep to prepare myself for the run. The flag off was at 6.15am, and it was really crowded that it took me more than 5 mins to step past the starting line.

My crunch time came at about 16km, where my arches hurt like anything, and my thighs and calves were almost cramping. I kept murmuring to myself, getting myself to push on; I let out a whisper of despair. The sun was exceptionally hot this year, with the rays shining straight onto the face at about 8am. Yet, when I know the finishing line was so close at 17km, I just ran with all the remaining strength that I could possibly muster.

I completed the run in about 2h 20min, with the timing a little better as compared to last year. It was certainly not a spectacular timing to have for many, but I am glad that I did achieve a better timing this year. I would not be able to tolerate myself if I fared worse, for some reasons.

Was indeed tired when I reached home after a hearty breakfast, knocking out from 11.30am to 4.30pm, with many visits to the toilets and gulping down of water in between.

Today my whole legs are aching, including my stomach muscles. Stairways are a torture today. But I am really glad that I did my run yesterday. For these few years, I have always used this Standard Chartered run to mark the end of a year in spectacular.

It also serves as a continuous learning, reminder and training - no matter how hard the going is, the end point is my goal; crunch time is where I need to face up, but give up I should not. The victory waiting at the end line is worth all the hard work and the pain... I just need to grit my teeth and see it through, as the taste of victory is sweet...

No comments: