Monday, December 10, 2007

A Lesson Learnt from My Mom

I remembered the days when I was young and I used to throw tantrums and sulk. Such wilful kid I am huh? (Confession: I still sulk and throw tantrums nowadays too...Oops). Yet, there was one lesson that I picked up from my mummy on this.

I remembered my brothers or I would go on 'strike' at times and refuse to take our lunch or dinner. Yup, we thought it was a smart way of protesting to voice out unhappiness, to show displeasure or to display anger.

My mummy would just shrug her shoulders and said, “If you do not want to eat, it is you who go hungry, not me. It is you who suffer, not me...”

That was a teaching that I always remembered for one reason or another. Translated into more ‘adult’ terms, it just means many a time, we behave or show up in certain ways we think may hurt others around us or we may think our actions are inconsequential, yet, at the end of the day, we are just self sabotaging only.

If we choose to be rebellious and fail in exams to go against our parents; if we decide to ill treat ourselves to make the other party guilty for breaking up with us; if we decide to live a life of destruction just to spite some people, we are the ones who ultimately pay the price, not our parents, not our ex-partner or any other person out there.

Of course, we may be caught in situations that we sabotage ourselves without knowing. After all, we are all human beings with feelings, and are still learning. Yet, for the obvious, there is really no excuse. We cannot always get carried away by our feelings or evaluations, and be excused for all the things we have done or not done, especially when certain wilful acts do not serve us in a right and meaningful way.

I thank my mom for teaching me this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

u are wrong. By not eating, you lose weight. isnt that what all girls want?

Personally i think u need more caning from mummy.

Lone Ranger