Monday, December 24, 2007

The Life Game

Was supposed to participate in a workshop called "The Life Game" last Sat. It is supposed to be a fun workshop for us to discover the choices that we have made that got us to where we are now. The time was supposedly to be from 1 pm to 6.30 pm. But the stupid woman here got the timing wrong - she thought that it was 1.30 pm to 6pm. So as the whole story goes, they got there at 1.30pm, only to realise that the workshop had already started like 1/2h ago…

So well, I did not get into the room… For workshops like these, I do not fancy being late… (and btw, I seldom get timing for such events wrong) So no workshop for me, ended up going home. But the irony is the Life Game has started for me even way before the actual workshop. It was clear how I had showed up such that I was late. I did not bother enough to even get the timing right. When all other 80 participants could get it right, I got it wrong. So much about the hassle to make my way there on time at 1.30 pm on a Sat afternoon.

Indeed, my 'journey' to the Life Game may just be a mini reflection of the other areas of my life and my state of mind at this point - I spent so much effort trying to get to where I want to be, only to realise that I stood myself up by making a blunder that shouldn't be there in the first place. There is little effort on my part to take note of small but crucial details, like the timing in this instance. I just simply assumed that I got it right without confirming or checking again.

What a way to set myself up for failure. Where is all the effort that I need to put in to ensure that I got things right and on track? Or perhaps where is my heart and intention in getting to where I said? Do I really want to make it happen, or I am just half hearted? What a Life Game. Totally intolerable of myself on such possible costly mistakes.

Time for me to take stock, reflect deeper on how I have showed up and shift in ways that I can serve myself better in the New Year to come.

No comments: