Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Lunch Today

I had lunch with a friend today. She is a mentor to me, and yes, she used to be a life coach , supporting many individuals to excel in their own individual areas. And I am proud to say that I am one of those that she have coached - she was there to highlight my limiting beliefs; she was there to challenge my conversations; she was there to support me when I have my breakdowns; she was there to empower so that I can spread my wings and soar.

She is certainly someone that I respect and look up to. In her 40s, she is experienced, steadfast and powerful. Someone once said to me that we two are very similar in characters and thinking- she is like a more mature version of me. Perhaps…there is some truth to that? Well…

Anyway, it was nice catching up with her over lunch. It was 2 Sat ago, in a X’mas dinner gathering at one of the homes, that we agreed for lunch these 1-2 weeks.

I thought the lunch today would be more about me again… However, it turned out not. Instead, she shared with me what’s up in her life, the reflections that she had done over the past four days, the breakdowns she had last year, the goals that she had set for herself this year, and some issues that came up for her in area of relationship, family and personal development etc. In the end, I was the one throwing some questions for her to think about, offering my 2 cents worth of thoughts, and highlighting some points of views that she might have overlooked.

Well, come to think of it, I wonder if I was making sense this afternoon. Talking to someone who has seen more in life than I did, is so powerful in her own ways, and an experienced life coach, I question how much I can contribute.

Yet, no matter how powerful we each may be, we usually have our own blind spots, and it may take another to point that out?

Nevertheless, I am glad that she is willing to be so open and vulnerable with me. It is a sign of trust and bond. For that, I am indeed very delighted.

Even though I may not be able to offer much, I am most glad to be at least there to listen, so that she may get clarity in the process.

I will be more than happy to know that I can be in contribution… if I could in any way…

No comments: