Monday, October 16, 2006

My Mum and Her Illness

It had not been a very fantastic weekend for me actually. My blood pressure has been rising due to my mom. She has this high fever since the start of last week. And she had seen the GPs thrice, to find that her fever still going up and down.

I was actually working half-day morning last Friday, but due to my mom's condition, I instead spent the whole morning at home fussing over her - getting her to drink more water, bath, buying food for her and getting her to eat a little.

Her temperature shot to a high of 39.4°C on Sat morning, thus we decided to send her to hospital. After going all the x-ray, blood and urine tests, the doc certified that she has urinary tract infection (UTI) and she was not responding to the antibiotics that the GP had given her. After monitoring her for awhile in hospital, the doc said she was good enough to go home and be on oral medicine. By the time I was done with her that day, it was already late afternoon. However, I could see that there was a slight improvement in her condition.

Yet, I was boiling mad on Sunday. I could feel my blood pressure shooting up and my veins bursting. My mom decided to listen to hearsay and her friends, and went off stubbornly with her 2 friends to Outram Park to see a Chinese Sinseh in such bad hazy weather. I tried to stop her over the phone, but she insisted and said things like just let her go and die. My youngest brother, who was at home then could not stop her too. I was hoping mad, and headed straight home after putting the phone down with her.

I waited about 2h before she was home. And boy, I really gave it to her for all her nonsensical actions and words! And she was so insistent on stopping the antibiotics that the doc had given her to take the Chinese prescribed medicine. In moments of fury, I nearly threw the bottles of medicines out of the window there and then! After all the scolding and eventually some pampering cum coaxing from me, she finally succumbed, willing to continue with her current course of medicine.

Due to her irresponsible actions, her condition worsened - her temperature was high at 38+°C. So we are all back to square one with her. And I know that she has not been drinking enough water, nor she is eating enough to regain her strength etc. I am really exasperated as I cannot be around her 24h to make sure she does everything to get better. My 2 brothers do not seem to have a way with her - they buy all her bullshit. She is just a kid - the moment you have your eyes off her, she will not do what she is supposed to do, thus prolonging her illness and agony. Thinking about her is enough to get me all stressed up...

Guess if her fever persists tomorrow, it will be hospital for her again... Haiz…

It is a mental strain to take care of someone who is old and sick. If he or she listens to you, the going is easier. Otherwise, it is an uphill task that requires a lot of my attention, effort, time and strength. Sometimes, I am just at my wits end on how to deal with my parents. Yet, it is a personal responsibility I could not and would not avoid. Already on this journey many years back, I only pray that I would just get better at handling all these, and be ever strong for them.

No comments: