Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"The Rose"

I always remember this song “The Rose”. I had heard this song many a times long before, but the lyrics never did strike a cord in me till a few years back. I remembered we were at our friend’s publishing firm for a small group meeting when HS played this song and highlighted the lyrics in the song book that she had brought along.

It was that instance that I felt connected to this song. Such powerful lyrics indeed, bringing out the essence of love, strength and hope in such a touching and clever manner. Take the end of the 1st verse for example, it states “I say love, it is a flower, and you its only seed.” We are the only opening to the door to our heart and love, isn’t it?

I especially love the 2nd verse of the song:

It's the heart afraid of breaking
that never learns to dance.
It's the dream afraid of waking
that never takes the chance.
It's the one who won't be taken,
who cannot seem to give,
and the soul afraid of dyin'
that never learns to live.

How true indeed. The heart that closes up itself will never rejoice in love; the one who fears to dream will never take the leap; the one who refuses to accept can never give; the one who scares to risk will never experience life itself fully…

The rest of the song, well, I supposed you can connect to it too, if you do open your ears and your heart to listen to it. Certainly a song that one can draw strength on and to remind oneself about.

Get this widget Track details eSnips Social DNA

No comments: