Monday, November 19, 2007

Practise

I do swims and runs occasionally… Yes, I think you do know.

Did I ever share that I was really lousy at swimming in the past, that I can hardly finish half a lap? Did I ever say that I suck big times at running too, so much so that a short distance can make my face green and send my legs wobbling?

Yet, it is always practise that make perfect. Every time I hit the pool, I swim with the same strokes (fyi, I only know breast stroke well), yet, every time I learn something new, like how to glide through the water better, how to kick my legs such that I am more efficient, how to draw my arms such that it is less of an effort. So even now, I am still experimentaling and learning how I can get better at my strokes.

The same goes for jogging. As I jog more, I understand my body better. I start to understand the shoes that may suit me better; I realise I need to stretch my back often so that my back will not be aching after a long run; I learn how to control my breathing so that I can manage my stitches. I get better each time, stretching my distance further, running more comfortably over these few years…

Well, I think you get the gist of it.

Simply, what I am trying to say is that every experience, be it doing the same things or trying something novel, we get new understanding and learning every time, such that we get better at it come another time. Hence, we got the phrase of “practise makes perfect”. Every experience allows a chance for us to improve or to learn something new... It is about being fully aware of what we are doing, and seeking to improve.

Yet again, one cannot improve simply by just thinking through the process over and over again. "Mental masturbation" cannot get anywhere, isn’t it? Cos it is all just in the mind! One needs to get all hands, legs or whole body dirty, and through that, one can then learn over and over again.

1 comment:

Wondering Wanderer said...

haha interesting post.... hope all is well with your new job