Sunday, June 01, 2008

Sundown Marathon

The Sundown marathon was indeed challenging… 1st, the run flagged off at midnight. There was no sun to worry about, yet that was a timing that my body would go into a shutdown mode for sleeping.

2nd, the route was very stretchy, especially during 22-30km, where we were at the Bedok park connector before Bedok reservoir. The route was so narrow, and there were so many up slopes! The last 5km were not better either – the legs were almost giving way and yet it was a continuous uphill stretch. Think we climbed 3-4 overhead bridges during this run too.

3rd, I was having some gastric problems since Wed, and had in fact seen a doc for it. The stomach bloatedness acted up during the run, thus I was feeling so uncomfortable for the whole journey. And yes, I got stitches every now and then too! @#&^$~(@$*!

4th, because I ran like a tortoise, thus we got caught in the sudden downpour at our last 3km! And it was such a heavy rain that we couldn’t even quite see what was ahead... So we were drenched chickens when we crossed the finishing line, not to say that we queued in the rain to get the finisher medal and T-shirt… To add to misery, the dying rain suddenly turned full force again when we were struggling to crawl back to our car parked quite a distance away...

Thus I took a total of 6h 3min to finish the whole 42km. Not a fantastic timing at all, I know. I can only blame my own laziness in training… But well, at least I finished the run in one whole piece… Just do not know if my legs will still function tomorrow, and if my back and shoulders will ache like anything or not.