Thursday, August 27, 2009

My car accident

I got myself involved in a 5-car collision yesterday evening on the AYE... I was driving my way home at 6+pm when it all happened. I was the 4th car, so I was obviously being sandwiched… The accident happened so quickly that everything unfolded in that few seconds.

I was on the first lane... when the car in front of me suddenly jammed brake, so I did too. In the instant moment, so much thoughts flashed through my mind. I remembered thinking to myself that heng ah, I stopped so close to the car in front of mine… then I was alarmed by the fact that my car moved again even though I was so hard on my brakes. I thought that my brake was faulty. The next moment, I heard loud bangs with me being thrown forward and then backward… my vision went black. That instance when I realised I was about to lose consciousness, I was like oh shit, am I done for.

By the time my vision came back quickly in the next few seconds, my airbags were already half deflated in front of me and I was in a state of shock… but obviously I could still think and move. Of course, being caught the first time in this situation, I was totally lost and did not know what to do...

I must say that I am so amazed by our Singaporean fellowmen in this unpleasant experience. During the whole incident, other than the on-the-road car workshop people (who happened to be on the 3rd lane then) and the driver of the car in front of me who came over to ask how I was, the rest were only busy taking out their camera to capture shots of their car’s damage and taking down each other’s contact details. I was obviously in the car for a long while, and I even squatted down when I was out of the car… but they didn’t even bother. They were more concerned about their piece of metal and trying to make sure their loss would be covered than to care for another human being. The most applauding act was that the car that knocked into me was the first car to drive off without even passing me his contact details or letting me take photos of the accident etc. How nonchalant and cool can people be huh? How disgusting.

Of course, though I failed to take any photo except eventually for my and the car in front of me, the workshop people had already taken down all the details… Needless to say, the back and front of my car was in a terrible state. My front window screen was cracked and even the plastic below where my seat belt was anchored to on the right came half off. Fortunately, the main structure and the engine of my car were not damaged, so it was not beyond repair.

Long story short, I eventually went across the road to NUH to do checkup to make sure that I was ok. I obviously have a long life for I only suffered some external bruises to my chin, lips, kneecaps and lower right side near the pelvis and the loud bangs affected my hearing so I kept having the ringing sound in my ears. So I was given painkillers and two days of medical leave to rest at home. Well, based on the great impact of the collision, I am more than lucky to suffer such light injuries… Heaven is indeed looking out for me.

There was some paperwork to be done for reporting the case to insurance etc, and eventually the cost for repairing the cars would be mostly covered by the car insurer... But this also means that the car insurance premium will go up come next renewal. Alas....

And I think I got people worried about me too. Dan dashed down to hospital from his work after receiving my call and he was more concerned about making sure I was fine than to handle anything to do with the car… Of course, I did receive some calls and smses asking how was I... I couldn’t help but think at times that I am only a troublemaker in some people’s lives- make people run all around for me only.

I am certainly feeling more effect from the collision today… As the day goes past, the back of my neck seemed to be aching all the way down to my shoulders… But I supposed this type of whiplash symptom is common for motor accident. Hopefully it would go away in the next few days like a stiff neck.

Oh ya, I was reminded that I ought to go temple and pray to thank the gods for keeping a lookout for me such that I’m so blessed to only suffer bruises… and I would…

1 comment:

Wondering Wanderer said...

Hope all is well??
Any pics?