Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Old and older

I hit the big 3 two days ago… A few of my girlfriends who had crossed that hurdle much earlier this year were curious how I felt on that day for they were pretty much depressed and grouchy on their own birthdays as it signifies that they are no longer young; that youth has zoomed past them without they achieving much. Well, I hate to disappoint, but I chose to view it differently - I celebrated the fact that I am in another phase of my life, that it is only going to get better, more exciting and enriching…

I could be indulging in self misery for I caught flu somehow, with a bad throat, throbbing headache and occasional running nose since Sun afternoon… But my mood shouldn’t be dampened just over this, isn’t it? Thus, on Sunday evening I visited the Night Safari for the first time, and on Monday afternoon ice skating - an activity that I had not done for ages!

Ya, I admit that I am a mountain turtle for I had never been to Night Safari all these years, but now I had… and I enjoyed the fun and experience… I had butterflies in my stomach when I stepped into the skating rink after about 8 long years. I struggled for my balance as I moved inches forward awkwardly, and I feared for my bones if I did fall. But, just like any other new activities, we learn by experiencing and get better by practicing. At the end of 2 hours, I was more relaxed and had some little fun with all those young kids… Haaa… What a way to signify new experiences for me! Of course, none was possible without Dan. So I thank him for going the extra mile to make my day.

The 1st person to wish me Happy Birthday via sms on my actual day was someone once very important in my life. I had picked up heaps from him– his wits, creativity and confidence during our growing up years. He is a day older than I am, so I figured there is no way that I can ever forget his birthday...

Of course, I had some jolly good friends who took effort and spent money to buy me pressies and/or made the time to have dinners or lunches with me. There were many others too who sent through their good wishes via phone calls, smses or emails. On this very day of my birthday, I know I am blessed to be surrounded by so many people who love me for who I am...

Another phase of life for me… Let it be forward moving, purposeful and meaningful… I am and will be sourcing for that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

'older' oni in terms of higher numbers, let it be that the heart stay young n body stay fit!

bitchydolly said...

Still, i am getting older...

N it takes effort to let the heart stay young, body to stay fit! Easier said than done.. But I will try! :P

mousez72 said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! totally missed it... paiseh...

bitchydolly said...

It's ok! U already made my day when you helped me buy my bags back! :)))

nicelegs said...

haha.. you earlier than me..